This show began with Joe Meile from Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting (C.A.S.H.). Following allegations of a connection between actor Matthew McConaughey and a canned hunting ranch, we wanted to learn more about how these operations operate. Joe is one of the country’s leading opponents of hunting and provided the disturbing details. Then, NYS assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal described […]
Animals Today – February 15, 2015. Captive hunting critique. Will New York ban cat declawing? Giraffe populations under pressure.
Animals Today – February 8, 2015. Flying dogs to safety. Hawaii’s colossal kitty sanctuary. Racehorse death rate alarmingly high – what can be done?
This show featured three guests from around the US. First, Lori spoke with Jonathan Plesset and Brad Childs, co-founders of Pittsburgh Aviation Animal Rescue Team (PAART). These aviators have used their flying skills to begin and grow a regional air transport group, specializing in dogs in need of urgent relocation. They offered a lot of information, including […]
Animals Today – February 1, 2015. Exploring gender differences in how we relate to animals. Free roaming cats: New survey asks, how does the public want them to be treated?
This show featured two wonderful guests. First on was anthrozoologist Hal Herzog, book author, blogger, researcher and Professor of Psychology at Western Carolina University. Have you ever wondered if girls and women care more about animals than boys and men? Which sex tends to be more active in animal rights and welfare issues? And, which sex […]
The final show of 2014 featured two wonderful guests! First, Lori welcomed Dr. Anne Martin, Executive Director of the House Rabbit Society. Have you ever wondered if you are a “rabbit person?” What do rabbits need to be healthy and happy at home? Lori and Anne discussed many aspects of having rabbits as companion animals […]
Animals Today- December 21, 2014. Compassionate conservation. Greater legal rights for nonhuman species. Hormone replacement therapy can harm dogs and cats.
This was a big show featuring three wonderful guests! First up was Marc Bekoff, Ph.D., former Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and co-founder with Jane Goodall of Ethologists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Recently a Harvard biologist working in Guyana came across a huge exotic spider (a Goliath bird […]
Animals Today – October 19, 2014 – Compassion Fatigue: Recognizing and managing this common condition.
On this show, Lori welcomed Patricia Smith for an in-depth discussion about a common condition, compassion fatigue. Caregivers and people in all helping professions are susceptible to this type of secondary traumatic stress, resulting in apathy, isolation, bottled-up emotions, substance abuse and other self-destructive behaviors. Individuals who work with animals are particularly susceptible to compassion […]
Animals Today, October 5, 2014. Medical evidence supports plant-based diets for health. Religious basis for veganism from a Jewish perspective. Irksome dog and cat behaviors. Happy and Safe Dogs and Cats – a Spanish language program.
This show started with a discussion on the health benefits of plant based diets with Cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn. Dr. Kahn, who was just finishing his training when the pivotal Ornish study was published, advocates a healthy vegan diet as a central part of heart health for his patients. Here’s Joel’s website. eat your veggies, everyone! Then, […]
Animals Today September 14, 2014. Community cat management: Sane and humane treatment of the felines around us.
This show featured an in-depth discussion of community cats with Peter Wolf, Cat Initiatives Analyst, Best Friends Animal Society. Free-roaming cats or feral cats, also called community cats because they are all around us, often trigger controversy as cities, neighborhoods, animal services departments, and animal welfare organizations try to interact with them humanely and effectively. […]
Animals Today July 27, 2014. The harmful effects of rodent poisons on pets, people and wildlife. Cats control our lives.
Poisons to control infestations of rodents are widely used and easy to obtain. However, rat or mouse poisons, or rodenticides, are toxic products that can cause illness and even death of non-target wildlife, pets and people. On this show, we learned about the poisons and their harmful effects from two expert guests. First, Lori welcomed Jonathan […]
On this show we welcomed Steve Hindi, President of SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness (SHARK) to discuss the status of bullfighting around the world. In 2011, the Spanish region of Catalonia held its final bullfight before a ban went into effect, ending a centuries-long tradition. But will other cities, regions and countries follow? In an explosive rant […]
- Animals Today – Sunday February 23, 2014 Shark attack survivors promoting shark conservation February 25, 2014
- Animals Today June 15, 2014 Center for Biological Diversity takes aim at Wildlife Services. Injuries at zoos and the law. June 22, 2014
- Animals Today – February 9, 2014: Merritt Clifton, Editor, Animal People discusses statistics and trends of companion animal overpopulation, euthanasia, and dog and cat adoption rates February 14, 2014
- Animals Today October 12, 2014 – Did that dog really need to be shot? Improving management of dog encounters by police. A model program to help pay for emergency Vet care for needy families. October 22, 2014
- Animals Today – May 18, 2014. Federal government sued over wind farm regulations. Repopulating wild bison herds: A good idea? May 21, 2014
- Animals Today March 22, 2015. The connection between dog breeding and euthanasia. What is holding the animal welfare movement back? Best Friends has a new Chief Digital Officer. March 22, 2015
- Animals Today – March 15, 2015. From Holocaust Survivor to Animal Rights Activist: The incredible story of Dr. Alex Hershaft. Great News for Circus Elephants. March 16, 2015
- Animals Today March 1, 2015 The growing popularity of vegetarianism, veganism and animal advocacy in modern Jewish life. Killing in the name of conservation. March 2, 2015
- Animals Today – February 22, 2015 – Rescuing dogs from puppy mills. Animal welfare groups adopt humane menus. California foie gras legal battles. Pet products gone wild. February 22, 2015
- Animals Today – February 15, 2015. Captive hunting critique. Will New York ban cat declawing? Giraffe populations under pressure. February 15, 2015
- FACE Foundation on Animals Today Radio! | FACE Foundation: […] HERE to listen to the interview with Bro...
- beth: Your interview with Tim Ream was very informative....
- Mark Duchamp: Thank you for the opportunity given me to defend w...
- Roberta: Enjoyed this interview very much and wanted to tha...
- Micki Glenn: Good to know. I'm still a diver, and may start ca...
Follow @animalstodaylk on Twitter
- 2010 Show Archive
- 2011 Show Archive
- 2013 show archive
- 2014 Show Archive
- 2015 Show Archive
- Aniamal Cruelty
- Animal advocacy
- Animal behavior/ ethology
- Animal Cruelty
- Animal Ethics
- Animal fighting
- Animal intelligence
- Animal Rescue
- Animal Sanctuary
- Animal Shelter
- Animals Rights
- Companion animals
- Exotic animals
- Farmed animals
- Featured Books
- For Children
- General Information
- Healthy eating
- Humane education
- Medical research
- Morality of Animals
- Natural Disasters
- Pet Products
- Plant based diet
- Rodent control
- Service animals
- Top stories
- Veterinary topics
- Wild animals
- Wildlife rehabilitation