On this show, Lori welcomed Patricia Smith for an in-depth discussion about a common condition, compassion fatigue. Caregivers and people in all helping professions are susceptible to this type of secondary traumatic stress, resulting in apathy, isolation, bottled-up emotions, substance abuse and other self-destructive behaviors. Individuals who work with animals are particularly susceptible to compassion […]
Animals Today – October 19, 2014 – Compassion Fatigue: Recognizing and managing this common condition.
Animals Today, October 5, 2014. Medical evidence supports plant-based diets for health. Religious basis for veganism from a Jewish perspective. Irksome dog and cat behaviors. Happy and Safe Dogs and Cats – a Spanish language program.
This show started with a discussion on the health benefits of plant based diets with Cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn. Dr. Kahn, who was just finishing his training when the pivotal Ornish study was published, advocates a healthy vegan diet as a central part of heart health for his patients. Here’s Joel’s website. eat your veggies, everyone! Then, […]
Animals Today September 14, 2014. Community cat management: Sane and humane treatment of the felines around us.
This show featured an in-depth discussion of community cats with Peter Wolf, Cat Initiatives Analyst, Best Friends Animal Society. Free-roaming cats or feral cats, also called community cats because they are all around us, often trigger controversy as cities, neighborhoods, animal services departments, and animal welfare organizations try to interact with them humanely and effectively. […]
Animals Today July 27, 2014. The harmful effects of rodent poisons on pets, people and wildlife. Cats control our lives.
Poisons to control infestations of rodents are widely used and easy to obtain. However, rat or mouse poisons, or rodenticides, are toxic products that can cause illness and even death of non-target wildlife, pets and people. On this show, we learned about the poisons and their harmful effects from two expert guests. First, Lori welcomed Jonathan […]
On this show we welcomed Steve Hindi, President of SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness (SHARK) to discuss the status of bullfighting around the world. In 2011, the Spanish region of Catalonia held its final bullfight before a ban went into effect, ending a centuries-long tradition. But will other cities, regions and countries follow? In an explosive rant […]
On this show, Lori welcomed Craig Sholley, Vice President for Philanthropy and Marketing for African Wildlife Foundation. One of Kenya’s iconic elephants, a large 45-year-old male named Satao, was recently killed by poachers for his beautiful, long tusks. Craig discussed how it is possible that 20,000 elephants were killed last year in Africa, what drives the […]
Animals Today October 27, 2013: Animals Today – October 27, 2013: Bird Conservation in the Americas with Steve Holmer from American Bird Conservancy. Plus helping injured birds
On this show, Peter interviewed Steve Holmer to get updated on issues facing birds in the wild throughout the Americas. Steve is Senior Policy Advisor and Director of the Bird Conservation Alliance, American Bird Conservancy. They discussed which species are threatened, which birds are doing well, and what the important dangers to birds are. Recent research […]
Animals Today October 6, 2013 – Helping dogs and cats in Mexico: Katie Ayres with Cats and Dogs International and Alison Sawyer with Isla Animals
On this show, Peter spoke with two women who are working in Mexico to help needy dogs and cats in. First, Katie Ayres joined us to discuss the work of Cats and Dogs International (CANDi), where she is Operations Manager. They have set up strategic partnerships with the Mexican tourism industry as well as animal […]
Animals Today – October 13, 2013. Riverside County and Beyond: Shelter and Animal Services Management, with Robert Miller of Riverside County, CA. Also, Lori and Peter analyze PETA’s advertising.
On this show, Lori first welcomed Robert Miller, Director of Riverside County California’s Department of Animal Services. Riverside, with about 2.2 million people, has many animal shelters, staff, and volunteers. Rob oversees and leads all of it with dedication, humor, and an eye toward the future. Lori asked about the biggest challenges facing Riverside’s shelters, […]
On this show, Lori was joined by Becky Robinson, Co-founder and President, Alley Cat Allies. Feral cats, or community cats, are literally everywhere. October 16 is National Feral Cat Day, and Lori and Becky discussed various issues concerning feral cats including ways to manage them. Also, listen in to hear Becky’s take on the feral cat […]
- Animals Today – Sunday February 23, 2014 Shark attack survivors promoting shark conservation February 25, 2014
- Animals Today – May 18, 2014. Federal government sued over wind farm regulations. Repopulating wild bison herds: A good idea? May 21, 2014
- Animals Today – February 9, 2014: Merritt Clifton, Editor, Animal People discusses statistics and trends of companion animal overpopulation, euthanasia, and dog and cat adoption rates February 14, 2014
- Animals Today October 12, 2014 – Did that dog really need to be shot? Improving management of dog encounters by police. A model program to help pay for emergency Vet care for needy families. October 22, 2014
- Animals Today June 15, 2014 Center for Biological Diversity takes aim at Wildlife Services. Injuries at zoos and the law. June 22, 2014
- Animals Today – October 26, 2014 – Misuse and overuse of antibiotics in agriculture – how our health is at risk. Protecting dogs from Parvo. Pit Bull awareness month and news. December 13, 2014
- Animals Today November 30, 2014. The truth about turkeys. Holiday animal safety. Cool new species found. December 8, 2014
- Animals Today November 16, 2014 – The culture of youth rodeo and western style events utilizing animals: What lessons are learned? December 1, 2014
- Animals Today, November 2, 2014. Hidden and not so hidden risks of having dogs, featuring former LA Animal Cruelty Prosecutor, Bob Ferber. November 5, 2014
- Animals Today – October 19, 2014 – Compassion Fatigue: Recognizing and managing this common condition. October 27, 2014
- FACE Foundation on Animals Today Radio! | FACE Foundation: […] HERE to listen to the interview with Bro...
- beth: Your interview with Tim Ream was very informative....
- Mark Duchamp: Thank you for the opportunity given me to defend w...
- Roberta: Enjoyed this interview very much and wanted to tha...
- Micki Glenn: Good to know. I'm still a diver, and may start ca...
Follow @animalstodaylk on Twitter
- 2010 Show Archive
- 2011 Show Archive
- 2013 show archive
- 2014 Show Archive
- Aniamal Cruelty
- Animal advocacy
- Animal behavior/ ethology
- Animal Cruelty
- Animal Ethics
- Animal fighting
- Animal intelligence
- Animal Rescue
- Animal Sanctuary
- Animal Shelter
- Animals Rights
- Companion animals
- Exotic animals
- Farmed animals
- Featured Books
- For Children
- General Information
- Healthy eating
- Humane education
- Medical research
- Morality of Animals
- Natural Disasters
- Pet Products
- Plant based diet
- Rodent control
- Service animals
- Top stories
- Wild animals
- Wildlife rehabilitation