This show featured an in-depth discussion of community cats with Peter Wolf, Cat Initiatives Analyst, Best Friends Animal Society. Free-roaming cats or feral cats, also called community cats because they are all around us, often trigger controversy as cities, neighborhoods, animal services departments, and animal welfare organizations try to interact with them humanely and effectively. [...]
Animals Today September 14, 2014. Community cat management: Sane and humane treatment of the felines around us.
Animals Today July 27, 2014. The harmful effects of rodent poisons on pets, people and wildlife. Cats control our lives.
Poisons to control infestations of rodents are widely used and easy to obtain. However, rat or mouse poisons, or rodenticides, are toxic products that can cause illness and even death of non-target wildlife, pets and people. On this show, we learned about the poisons and their harmful effects from two expert guests. First, Lori welcomed Jonathan [...]
On this show we welcomed Steve Hindi, President of SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness (SHARK) to discuss the status of bullfighting around the world. In 2011, the Spanish region of Catalonia held its final bullfight before a ban went into effect, ending a centuries-long tradition. But will other cities, regions and countries follow? In an explosive rant [...]
On this show, Lori welcomed Craig Sholley, Vice President for Philanthropy and Marketing for African Wildlife Foundation. One of Kenya’s iconic elephants, a large 45-year-old male named Satao, was recently killed by poachers for his beautiful, long tusks. Craig discussed how it is possible that 20,000 elephants were killed last year in Africa, what drives the [...]
Animals Today October 27, 2013: Animals Today – October 27, 2013: Bird Conservation in the Americas with Steve Holmer from American Bird Conservancy. Plus helping injured birds
On this show, Peter interviewed Steve Holmer to get updated on issues facing birds in the wild throughout the Americas. Steve is Senior Policy Advisor and Director of the Bird Conservation Alliance, American Bird Conservancy. They discussed which species are threatened, which birds are doing well, and what the important dangers to birds are. Recent research [...]
Animals Today October 6, 2013 – Helping dogs and cats in Mexico: Katie Ayres with Cats and Dogs International and Alison Sawyer with Isla Animals
On this show, Peter spoke with two women who are working in Mexico to help needy dogs and cats in. First, Katie Ayres joined us to discuss the work of Cats and Dogs International (CANDi), where she is Operations Manager. They have set up strategic partnerships with the Mexican tourism industry as well as animal [...]
Animals Today – October 13, 2013. Riverside County and Beyond: Shelter and Animal Services Management, with Robert Miller of Riverside County, CA. Also, Lori and Peter analyze PETA’s advertising.
On this show, Lori first welcomed Robert Miller, Director of Riverside County California’s Department of Animal Services. Riverside, with about 2.2 million people, has many animal shelters, staff, and volunteers. Rob oversees and leads all of it with dedication, humor, and an eye toward the future. Lori asked about the biggest challenges facing Riverside’s shelters, [...]
On this show, Lori was joined by Becky Robinson, Co-founder and President, Alley Cat Allies. Feral cats, or community cats, are literally everywhere. October 16 is National Feral Cat Day, and Lori and Becky discussed various issues concerning feral cats including ways to manage them. Also, listen in to hear Becky’s take on the feral cat [...]
Animals Today September 9, 2013 Jan Creamer and Dr. Neal Barnard. Flying with cats and debating about service and assistance animals.
Two great guests appeared on this show, both internationally renowned leaders. First Jan Creamer, President and CEO, Animal Defenders International, discussed ADI’s new film, Lion Ark. ADI’s network of representatives and operatives in South America have succeeded in obtaining exotic animal circus bans in multiple countries, an incredible victory. The recently released documentary depicts not [...]
On this show, Lori reviewed the film, Blackfish, with Director Gabriella Cowperthwaite and former SeaWorld trainer, Samantha Berg, who is featured in the film. Blackfish reveals the truth about the sordid business of housing sea mammals in captivity for profit, and about SeaWorld specifically. This powerful and compelling documentary has received many positive reviews and [...]
- Animals Today – Sunday February 23, 2014 Shark attack survivors promoting shark conservation February 25, 2014
- Animals Today June 15, 2014 Center for Biological Diversity takes aim at Wildlife Services. Injuries at zoos and the law. June 22, 2014
- Animals Today – February 9, 2014: Merritt Clifton, Editor, Animal People discusses statistics and trends of companion animal overpopulation, euthanasia, and dog and cat adoption rates February 14, 2014
- Animals Today – May 18, 2014. Federal government sued over wind farm regulations. Repopulating wild bison herds: A good idea? May 21, 2014
- Animals Today June 30, 2013 – Dr. Lori Marino analyzes Dolphin Assisted Therapy July 9, 2013
- Animals Today – September 21, 2014. Legal challenge to the Phoenix ban on the sale of dogs and cats. Perspectives on breeding and dog overpopulation. Pet store success with humane business practices. September 26, 2014
- Animals Today September 14, 2014. Community cat management: Sane and humane treatment of the felines around us. September 22, 2014
- Animals Today September 7, 2014. Solar power plants are killing birds. The use of live animals for training purposes in medical residencies is waning. September 8, 2014
- Animals Today August 17, 2014. Animal welfare innovations in Maricopa County, Arizona. Turtle movies are not good for real turtles. August 20, 2014
- Animals Today August 10, 2014. The cruelty of horse racing. Ebola, animals and you. August 14, 2014
- beth: Your interview with Tim Ream was very informative....
- Mark Duchamp: Thank you for the opportunity given me to defend w...
- Roberta: Enjoyed this interview very much and wanted to tha...
- Micki Glenn: Good to know. I'm still a diver, and may start ca...
- 301: current article on how to avoid a shark attack and...
Follow @animalstodaylk on Twitter
- 2010 Show Archive
- 2011 Show Archive
- 2013 show archive
- 2014 Show Archive
- Aniamal Cruelty
- Animal advocacy
- Animal behavior/ ethology
- Animal Cruelty
- Animal Ethics
- Animal fighting
- Animal intelligence
- Animal Rescue
- Animal Sanctuary
- Animal Shelter
- Animals Rights
- Companion animals
- Exotic animals
- Farmed animals
- Featured Books
- For Children
- General Information
- Healthy eating
- Humane education
- Medical research
- Morality of Animals
- Natural Disasters
- Pet Products
- Plant based diet
- Rodent control
- Service animals
- Top stories
- Wild animals
- Wildlife rehabilitation