As much joy as we get from living with dogs, and being their guardians and owners, there are real risks in doing so. Most people are not aware of the serious nature of these risks, or seriously underestimate them, according to Humane Education authority and former Los Angeles Animal Cruelty Prosecutor, Bob Ferber. Each year […]
Animals Today, November 2, 2014. Hidden and not so hidden risks of having dogs, featuring former LA Animal Cruelty Prosecutor, Bob Ferber.
Animals Today – September 21, 2014. Legal challenge to the Phoenix ban on the sale of dogs and cats. Perspectives on breeding and dog overpopulation. Pet store success with humane business practices.
To begin this show, Lori was joined by Chris Green, Director of Legislative Affairs, Animal Legal Defense Fund. In December 2013, Phoenix passed an ordinance that would prohibit pet stores from selling dogs and cats obtained from puppy mills. Soon after a lawsuit was filed challenging the ordinance, delaying its enactment. Chris Green provided his […]
This show featured two fascinating guests. Lori first welcomed Patrick Battuello, who writes the blog, Horseracing Wrongs. This summer, an unusually large number of horses are breaking down at the Del Mar, California track. Usually, this means the horses get euthanized. Patrick is a vocal and extremely knowledgeable critic of racing, and discussed what is […]
Animals Today June 15, 2014 Center for Biological Diversity takes aim at Wildlife Services. Injuries at zoos and the law.
On this show, Lori welcomed two outstanding guests. First was Tim Ream, Staff Attorney, Endangered Species Program at the Center for Biological Diversity. Four groups have filed a petition with US government officials demanding better regulation of and transparency from Wildlife Services. Many people do not know that Wildlife Services, a federal agency under the USDA, […]
Animals Today – May 18, 2014. Federal government sued over wind farm regulations. Repopulating wild bison herds: A good idea?
On Sunday’s Show, Lori welcomed three acclaimed guests. The first topic revolved around the lawsuit recently filed by the American Bird Conservancy (ABC) against the Department of the Interior, which is now able to approve 30-year permits for wind farms. Dr. Michael Hutchins, National Coordinator, Bird Smart Wind Energy Campaign, American Bird Conservancy, explained what […]
Animals Today – Sunday March 16, 2014 CA Assemblymember Richard Bloom introduces the Orca Welfare and Safety Act. Kim Sturla from Animal Place discusses the Food for Thought program. Greyhound racing in decline.
Two great guests appeared on this show. First, California Assemblymember Richard Bloom joined Lori to discuss the Orca Welfare and Safety Act. The goal of this legislation is to phase out killer whale captivity in the state. Mr. Bloom is the bill’s sponsor, and he explained how he became interested in this topic, what exactly the […]
Animals Today January 5, 2014 – Michael Markarian reviews recent state legal achievements benefitting animals. Natasha Dolezal discusses the growth of the field of Animal Law
Two fabulous guests joined Lori on this show. First, Michael Markarian discussed the important 2013 legislative achievements for animals in individual states. Mike is President of the Humane Society Legislative Fund, Chief Program and Policy Officer of the HSUS and President of the Fund for Animals. Check out Mike’s blog here. Then, Lori welcomed Natasha […]
Animals Today November 3, 2013 – Using MRI to learn how dogs think. How bull hooks were banned in LA
Lori Welcomed two great guests on this show. First, Dr. Gregory Berns, a neuroscientist from Emory University, discussed his research into the brains of dogs. Using functional MRI on awake, cooperative, unrestrained dogs, Berns and his team are exploring how dogs think. What does it take to get a dog to stay still for a […]
On this show, Lori spoke with Will Potter, award-winning independent journalist. Will’s recent book is titled, Green is the New Red: An Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege. Will has documented how corporations and government agencies are using their ever-expanding powers to oppose and even imprison non-violent environmental and animal activists. Lori and […]
On this show, Lori welcomed attorney Debra Vey Voda-Hamilton, who specializes in resolving animal-related disputes through mediation. There are many reasons to attempt mediation rather than to file a lawsuit, including lower costs, quicker and better resolution, and improved, more practical outcomes for the animals involved. Common areas of dispute include those with neighbors, homeowners […]
- Animals Today – Sunday February 23, 2014 Shark attack survivors promoting shark conservation February 25, 2014
- Animals Today – May 18, 2014. Federal government sued over wind farm regulations. Repopulating wild bison herds: A good idea? May 21, 2014
- Animals Today – February 9, 2014: Merritt Clifton, Editor, Animal People discusses statistics and trends of companion animal overpopulation, euthanasia, and dog and cat adoption rates February 14, 2014
- Animals Today October 12, 2014 – Did that dog really need to be shot? Improving management of dog encounters by police. A model program to help pay for emergency Vet care for needy families. October 22, 2014
- Animals Today June 15, 2014 Center for Biological Diversity takes aim at Wildlife Services. Injuries at zoos and the law. June 22, 2014
- Animals Today – October 26, 2014 – Misuse and overuse of antibiotics in agriculture – how our health is at risk. Protecting dogs from Parvo. Pit Bull awareness month and news. December 13, 2014
- Animals Today November 30, 2014. The truth about turkeys. Holiday animal safety. Cool new species found. December 8, 2014
- Animals Today November 16, 2014 – The culture of youth rodeo and western style events utilizing animals: What lessons are learned? December 1, 2014
- Animals Today, November 2, 2014. Hidden and not so hidden risks of having dogs, featuring former LA Animal Cruelty Prosecutor, Bob Ferber. November 5, 2014
- Animals Today – October 19, 2014 – Compassion Fatigue: Recognizing and managing this common condition. October 27, 2014
- FACE Foundation on Animals Today Radio! | FACE Foundation: […] HERE to listen to the interview with Bro...
- beth: Your interview with Tim Ream was very informative....
- Mark Duchamp: Thank you for the opportunity given me to defend w...
- Roberta: Enjoyed this interview very much and wanted to tha...
- Micki Glenn: Good to know. I'm still a diver, and may start ca...
Follow @animalstodaylk on Twitter
- 2010 Show Archive
- 2011 Show Archive
- 2013 show archive
- 2014 Show Archive
- Aniamal Cruelty
- Animal advocacy
- Animal behavior/ ethology
- Animal Cruelty
- Animal Ethics
- Animal fighting
- Animal intelligence
- Animal Rescue
- Animal Sanctuary
- Animal Shelter
- Animals Rights
- Companion animals
- Exotic animals
- Farmed animals
- Featured Books
- For Children
- General Information
- Healthy eating
- Humane education
- Medical research
- Morality of Animals
- Natural Disasters
- Pet Products
- Plant based diet
- Rodent control
- Service animals
- Top stories
- Wild animals
- Wildlife rehabilitation